Ratonga tūnga waka
Parking in the CBD is important for shoppers, tourists and those working in and visiting the city.
What we do
We provide about 10% of the parking in central Wellington. This includes on-street parking spaces and off-street parking at various sites. Parking is important for shoppers, people working in the city, visitors to the city, and people coming in to the city for recreational activities.
- We will continue to monitor the technology around in-ground sensors to get data of traffic volumes and time periods of stay in certain areas around the CBD and in the suburbs.
- We will trial Snapper card payment for pay and display machines as a further alternative option to pay for parking.
- Freyberg Pool – we will install pay and display machines at Freyberg Pool, to charge for parking from 8am – 6pm Monday to Thursday, and 8am to 8pm on Friday. Weekends will remain free. The cost of installing these machines is estimated to be $20,000. It is expected to generate revenue of $60,000 per annum, which will go back into the Freyberg Pool to support maintenance and development of the facility.
- Parking Services - the current contract for enforcement and processing of infringements and permits expires on 30 June 2013. We will review the current parking management business model so a clearly informed decision can be made as to the preferred option going forward.
Measuring our performanceTop
Our targets for 2013/14 are:
- the average weekday on-street car park turnover rate is 6.8 cars per day, and for weekends it is 5.2 cars per day
- on average, 75% of on-street car parks are occupied
- 95% compliance with WCC on-street car park time restrictions and 90% compliance with payment requirements
- 45% of residents are satisfied with the availability of on-street car parking during the week
- 60% of residents are satisfied with the availability of on-street car parking during the weekend
- the percentage of residents that perceive parking enforcement is fair will increase from previous year.
What it will costTop
|7.2 Parking ||Operating expenditure 2013–14 ||Capital expenditure |
|Income ||Expenditure ||Net expenditure ||Total |
|($000) ||($000) ||($000) ||($000) |
|7.2.1 - Parking ||(26,792) ||11,154 ||(15,638) ||1 |
|2013/14 7.2 Total ||(26,792) ||11,154 ||(15,638) ||1 |
|2012/13 7.2 Total ||(27,664) ||12,034 ||(15,630) ||1,029 |